Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Back to my old stomping grounds

So I have not quite made it all the way to Calgary yet - I'm at home in Cape Breton to spend some time with my family until March 17th (a week from today). I'm trying to keep up a little bit of training while I'm here, but I'm still worried that I'm going to lose my bike fitness being without it until next week. My bike feels so far away! I know Kat is going to ask each day what I'm doing so I must keep on it ;)

Sunday: Short 30 min run in a LOT of snow. People often think Newfoundland Winters are much worse than Nova Scotia's, but not so this year! Although the temperature is hovering around a balmy 0 degrees at the moment, there is a ton of snow down...which makes me wish I had my skis. I know you are all aware I would choose to do just about anything over running :-) 

Monday: 45 minute swim at the pool in Port Hawkesbury. It was so strange to be back there! I spent most evenings after school there for swim team practice, and every weekend for work as a teenager. It's also where Brock and I met when I was 16 at Nationals for lifeguarding. So nostalgic - everything about the pool was the same, except for the fact that it is now running a salt water system instead of chlorine! Kat and I might be the only people in the world who love chlorine. 

I intended to do some kind of speed work session but I abandoned that plan when I arrived and remembered that they don't put lanes in for lane swim, lol. It was super wavy and choppy  especially with swim lessons happening in one corner which meant kids were jumping in and out of the pool. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing, it just mimicked an open water swim! Good training :-) 

So I ended up doing 2000m as:
500 wu
100 kick
5 x 100 build
100 kick
200 drill/swim
100 kick
4 x 100 descending stroke count 
100 kick

I'm still getting used to the Garmin to track my swimming, and it drives me crazy that it doesn't register and count kick sets! Patrick has given me some good tips but I still think I'm not doing it right - I just keep pressing lap every time I start/stop and hope for the best. 

I'm trying to get Kat to come visit here; I know she'd love it! Some day we will bike the Cabot Trail ;)


- Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment